Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't made these yet, but will definitely be making them soon! A friend of mine had given me this recipe a while back and she said her daughter.
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In the food processor or in a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, salt and sugar. Add the egg and mix well. Blend in enough of the milk to form a dough that will hold together in a cohesive ball.
- On a floured surface or pastry cloth, roll into a rectangle about 3/8 inch thick. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1 1/2 x 3-inch rectangles. Place them on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick each cracker 2 or 3 times with the tines of a fork. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the crackers are thoroughly dry.
- Cool on a rack. These crackers should be hard. If necessary, put them back in the oven for a few extra minutes.