Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Dhana Jeera Powder, is a blend of two basic spices: coriander and cumin powder.
Make and share this Tawa Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 2 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons dhana jeera powder
- 2 -4 fresh chili peppers, finely chopped
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon methi leaves
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- . Put oil in a large, wide pan, and set over medium heat. Put in cloves, cinnamon stick and cardamom pots. Sauté until spices start to sizzle then add onions. Sauté onions until they are golden brown in color.
- Add dhana jeeru, salt, chilies, garlic, ginger, cayenne, turmeric, lemon juice and methi leaves. Cook for a minute. Put chicken pieces and stir.
- Cover lid and lower heat to medium low. Cook, turning pieces occasionally until all the juices released by the chicken disappear and chicken is golden brown in color. Add tomatoes and cook for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Take pan off heat. Sprinkle with garam masala and cilantro.
Delicious! Loved all of the spices and "heat" in this recipe. Easy to make, too! Served with rice. I also added a bit of water near the end, to make some "sauce". Made for Spring 2012 Pick a Chef game.
Mmm...delightful! I used chicken breast in place of the thigh and added about 1/2 cup water along with the tomatoes so it had a little gravy. Wonderful flavours...I served over steam Jasmine rice and topped with a small blob of greek yogurt. Reviewed for Fall 2008 PAC