1/5 Photos of Tasty German Chocolate Pie
4 hrs 25 mins
From TOH Holiday magazine submitted by D. Clay. A luscious pie that has a beautiful presentation. Different from the other pies listed on this site and possibly a bit more labor intensive. Prep time does not include time to bake the pastry shell. Passive time includes the time necessary to chill in the refrigerator.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE PIE
- 1 (4 ounce) package German sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 (9 inch) pastry shells, baked
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1****FOR THE PIE****.
- 2In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring until smooth. Stir in vanilla and set aside.
- 3In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and milk until smooth.
- 4Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 5Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer; then remove from heat.
- 6In a small bowl, stir a small amount of the hot filling into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- 7Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer; then remove from heat.
- 8Gently stir in chocolate mixture into the hot filling mixture.
- 9Spoon all into the pre-baked pastry shell.
- 10****FOR THE TOPPING****.
- 11In a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar and butter.
- 12Cook and stir until butter is melted and mixture just comes to a boil; then remove from heat.
- 13In a small bowl, stir a small amount of the hot liquid into the lightly beaten egg; return all to the pan; stirring constantly.
- 14Bring up to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 15Remove topping from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
- 16Pour over the pie filling.
- 17Cool on a wire rack then cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
- 18Leftovers have to be refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tasty German Chocolate Pie
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 552.0
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 99.3 mg
- Sodium 294.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 33.7 g
- Protein 8.1 g