Recipe by J. Michael Long
This hearty meat loaf is ideal for getting that great homemade cheeseburger taste without having to grill out. and it's very versatile, add in anything you like on a regular cheeseburger! Have it your way!
Top Review by CuttyTams
I made this using mustard instead of relish. It smells wonderful and was so easy to make. I used a loaf pan as my mold - filled 2/3 of the meat into the bottom, then made a well for the cheese, and then topped with the remaining meat. All of the cheese stayed inside during the cooking. I served with mashed potatoes and a salad. I will deffinitely be making this again. Thanks.
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons dill pickle relish
- 6 slices process American cheese or 6 slices cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup ketchup, egg, bread crumbs and onion powder.
- Crumble ground beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a large sheet of wax paper, pat beef mixture into a 10x6-inch rectangle.
- Spread remaining ketchup over meat to within 1/2 inch of long sides and 1-1/2 inches on short sides.
- Top with mustard and relish.
- Place 4 slices of cheese on top, set remaining cheese aside.
- Roll up loaf, jelly roll style, starting with short side and pulling away wax paper while rolling.
- Seal seams and ends well.
- Place loaf seam side down on a greased 11x7x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°F.
- cut the reserved cheese slices diagonally; place on top of loaf.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.