Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Love this pie! It's just like eating pecan pie without the pecans.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco, melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 450.
- Combine applesauce, brown sugar, eggs, crisco, lemon juice, lemon peel, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon; mix well.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 mins; reduce heat to 300.
- Continue baking for 45-55 mins or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Coool thoroughly on wire rack before cutting.
I've never found a recipe said to taste like something else, that tastes like something else. This is no exception. It doesn't taste like, or look like pecan pie. But it is TASTY, and it tastes like APPLESAUCE. Let's leave it at that!
Yummy! I used butter instead of crisco and I didn't have a lemon, so I used lemon juice concentrate and skipped the rind. This reminded me of a cross between bread pudding, apple pie and a pecan pie. It wasn't quite sweet enough for my husband, but I would have been happy with even less sugar, so that means it's just right! Overall, this is a super easy and comforting dessert (it was still warm when we ate it) or brunch dish. Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream would go well with it.