Adapted from "The Lutece Cookbook"
Make and share this Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Pizza) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup flour, plus flour for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3⁄8 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fromage blanc or 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 lb smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced very thin
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Put the flour and salt in a mixing bowl or in the work bowl of a food processor.
- In a measuring cup, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and stir in the sugar.
- Add to the flour all at once and stir or motor until smooth.
- Be careful not to over-process.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rise, undisturbed, for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and rub two large baking sheets with a little vegetable oil.
- Divide the dough into four parts, and on a well-floured surface, roll each part into an 8-inch round.
- Put the rounds on the oiled baking sheets and set aside.
- Combine the fromage blanc or cottage cheese, the crème fraîche and the 1 tablespoon of flour and stir or process until smooth.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until some of the fat is released, then add the sliced onion and cook 2 or 3 minutes, or until the onion is barely softened.
- Distribute the cheese evenly between the rounds of dough and spread it up to the edges.
- Sprinkle the bacon and onions on top.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the pastry is browned.
- Serve hot.