Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A throw together salad when I didn't know what to do with 3 cooked bone-in tarragon, thyme chicken breasts -- I had no celery or green onion, so I improvised using celery seed and onion powder. Would probably taste even better with chopped celery and some green onion! :) If you dislike mayo, try it with half sour cream and half mayo -- you might like it!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs bone-in chicken breasts (yields about 4 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken)
- dried tarragon
- powdered thyme
- 1⁄2 cup minced candied ginger
- 1⁄2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted, then chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion (optional)
- 3⁄4-1 cup mayonnaise (depends on how much chicken!, Can substitute half sour cream for half the mayo!)
- Roasting the chicken breasts:.
- In a 13 x 9 Pyrex dish, place raw bone-in chicken breasts ~ Sprinkle with salt, then generously with tarragon and thyme.
- Cover with foil and roast 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours at 325 degrees, til done.
- Cool breasts completely, then de-bone and chop to make about 4 1/2 cups.
- In a microwave bowl, mix minced candied ginger, dried cranberries, and apple juice. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes till bubbly hot ~ do not drain!
- Pour fruit mixture over chopped chicken.
- Toast 1 cup pecan halves in an iron skillet, then chop ~ add to chicken/fruit mixture.
- Add celery seed, optional chopped celery, optional chopped green onion, onion powder, and mayonnaise (or sour cream/mayo combination).
- Mix well.
- Chill overnight.
- Serves 10-12.
I didn't have thyme to make a big dinner, but I tarragon'd through the day enough that I gingerly pecaned the craisins, and lookie what I made! This joyous, delicious, and very satisfying chicken salad. This was really the pinnacle of a very excellent chicken salad; one, that would be perfect served at a "Mamma Day" brunch celebration. I served mine with some fresh homemade rye bread, and I honestly didn't want to share this with DH, but - if I must, I must. Made for *Farm Cooking* Photo Forum May 2010