Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
A Chinese snack.
- 400 g tapioca
- 25 g glutinous-rice flour
- 25 g wheat starch
- 25 g shortening
- 30 g caster sugar
- 40 ml water
- sesame, sufficient to coat
- 1 cup grated coconut (this is about half coconut)
- 70 g palm sugar (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 50 ml water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- For filling, heat up wok with oil, melt white sugar.
- Wait until brown and add palm sugar, coconut and water.
- Stir until fragrant and put aside.
- For skin, Peel and cut tapioca into very small cubes.
- Steam until soft for 30 minutes or more.
- Mash to become paste (this is a bit difficult so you have to be patient).
- Knead all ingredients together into a smooth dough.
- If too sticky add some wheat starch+glutionous flour, if too dry add some water.
- Divide into 15 small balls.
- Press one ball flat and wrap in filling, make into round shape (this is also not easy).
- Sprinkle ball with some water and coat with sesame.
- Heat up oil and deep fry until golden brown.