Recipe by CountryLady
Prepared in advance, these cook quickly so you can relax & mingle with your guests at your tapas party! If you can't find Rioja, substitute with another (preferably Spanish) red wine.
Top Review by Popcat
WOW! This was wondeful! I like to try new recipes with ingredient combinations I haven't had before - scallops, red wine and saffron - what a combo! I doubled the recipe to serve as an entree with brown rice. I didn't have shallots, so I substituted half an onion (for the double recipe) and it was fine. I made Auberge Creamed Carrots for a vegetable. The cooking time was right-on also. My wife is very picky about overcooked seafood = she loved it also and thought it was cooked just right! A wondeful dinner - thanks CountryLady!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 ounces rioja wine
- 5 scallops
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saute pan over medium high heat, add olive oil and butter.
- When butter melts, add the shallots, saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the scallops and wine.
- Turn scallops and add saffron.
- Season with salt.
- Cook until scallops are golden brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.