One of my lunch-box favourites and it's sooo easy to make! Although it tastes best served hot, it keeps well for later too. Serve with a coconut chutney (#15042 possibly? :) No no, I'm NOT advertising my recipes!), or plain chilled curds/yoghurt.
- 3⁄4 cup cooked rice, cooked without salt (you can use leftover cooked rice)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Urad Dal or 1⁄2 teaspoon split black gram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon asafetida powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon peanuts
- 1⁄2 medium green chili, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat and add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When mustard starts to splutter, add turmeric powder, chopped chilli, asafoetida, and peanuts.
- Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Then add cooked rice and salt and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame, add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped corriander and serve!
- Note: If you don't have cooked rice on hand, cook 1/4 cup of rice in a pressure cooker, or with about 1/2 to 2/3 cup water in a pot; allow it to cool well before using it in the recipe, since warm rice will tend to clump together in the mixture.