Prep 3 mins
Cook 7 mins
One of my lunch-box favourites and it's sooo easy to make! Although it tastes best served hot, it keeps well for later too. Serve with a coconut chutney (#15042 possibly? :) No no, I'm NOT advertising my recipes!), or plain chilled curds/yoghurt.
- 3⁄4 cup cooked rice, cooked without salt (you can use leftover cooked rice)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Urad Dal or 1⁄2 teaspoon split black gram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon asafoetida powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon peanuts
- 1⁄2 medium green chili, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- coriander leaves (to garnish)
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat and add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When mustard starts to splutter, add turmeric powder, chopped chilli, asafoetida, and peanuts.
- Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Then add cooked rice and salt and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame, add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped corriander and serve!
- Note: If you don't have cooked rice on hand, cook 1/4 cup of rice in a pressure cooker, or with about 1/2 to 2/3 cup water in a pot; allow it to cool well before using it in the recipe, since warm rice will tend to clump together in the mixture.
I was thrilled to find this recipe, since it reminds me of rice I used to buy from an Indian woman at our local farmer's market in Canada. Careful when cooking the mustard seeds, because they tend to want to fly everywhere! The spices were mostly in the right proportions for my taste, although I think I would add a touch less lemon juice next time. I should add as well that while I posted a photo of this recipe, it is much more of a stunning yellow colour than the snapshot shows - beautiful!
If I were to die tonight and God were to ask me, "My Child, what is the last and most special dish you would like to eat before I take you to my abode, say sweetie...". You know what I'd say - Anu's Tangy Lemon rice with peanuts! This is absolutely delicious! I made this for lunch this afternoon for myself and while I was eating it, I wanted to go run into the kitchen and make another serving of this. Guess what- I did do that after I had my meal! But, I've saved it for my dad whose travelled to Dubai today, and when he comes home, I'm going to heat this a bit in my oven, and serve it to dad. He'll love it, I can GUARANTEE it, already:) The only ingredient I omitted was the asafoetida powder and I didn't miss it at all. Next time, I will for sure leave out the split black gram as it was not cooked - it kept cracking in between my teeth while I was eating the rice. I enjoyed this rice with chilled plain yogurt, but I plan to make your coconut-lentil chutney soon and that day I'll be in love with my lunch when I have this rice with that chutney:)
I made it for dinner last night &it turned out pretty good The only change i made was that i added cilantro.However the next time i make it i'll use an extra lemon & and a little lesser oil.