Recipe by breezermom
This is great on salad, as a sandwich spread, and as a dip for chicken wings. Different because of the carmelized onions. This is also good on top of crostini. From TOH, with minor adjustments by me.
Top Review by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Tangy and VERY tasty! I cut the recipe in half, used Gorgonzola, and only two tablespoons finely minced Vidalia onion. Tagged for Fall Rookie Recipe game ~ due 10/13.
- 1 cup vidalia onions or 1 cup texas sweet onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise (may sub low fat, but flavor won't be the same)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (may use reduced fat)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until the onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, pepper sauce and worcestershire sauce. Stir in the cheese and onion. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.