Best Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing/Dip
photo by Marsha D.
- Ready In:
- 5 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste or use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a bowl mash the blue cheese with the buttermilk until the mixture resembles large-curd cottage cheese.
- Add in sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and salt; mix until well blended.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I chose this recipe because it had a little less blue cheese than others. (I'm not a big blue cheese fan, but wanted some dressing for hot wings.) My version was a lot more like a dip than a dressing - way too thick for salad, in my opinion. It may have been due to me using light versions of mayo and sour cream. So, I highly recommend that you use the full fat versions. In fact, home made mayo would be even thinner than store bought and make this a much better consistency. (Oops! I just realized that I omitted the buttermilk. No wonder mine was too thick.) I did thin it with some canned milk, but it was still too thick. I'll have to try this again when it's not Super Bowl Sunday and the booze is flowing. (It just goes to show you how drinking and cooking can be hazardous to the success of a recipe.) The flavor, however, was excellent, even for blue cheese haters like me.
I don't usually review recipes if I have made ingredient changes (I don't think it's fair), but this one is too good not to review. This dressing is a family favorite! It is delicious as both a dip (think buffalo wings) and a dressing for salad.I do substitute red wine vinegar for the white but that is really just a personal preference. Another great recipe-Thank you!
see 7 more reviews