Recipe by Luvfood
Roast chicken is always wonderful in it's many shapes and forms. This one is a little work but it is delicious and a little unique, never heard of a whole tandoori roast chicken before, very tasty !! Found this in a Hot & Spicy 1998 issue, Better Homes & Gardens.
Top Review by makayla
The chicken did not taste like tandoori to me, but the sauce that was used for covering it later was SO good. I would make the yogurt sauce and use it in place of salad dressing or instead of mayo on a sandwich. YUM!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs whole chickens
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 16 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1 tablespoon diced pimento, drained
- snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- lemon wedge (optional)
- onion, wedges (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place washed and cleaned chicken in a plastic bag in a shallow bowl; set aside.
- Combine coriander, cumin, salt, cardamon, pepper, cinnamon and cloves in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1 tbsp of the spice mixture, 8 ozs of the yogurt, paprika, gingerroot, and lemon juice.
- Pour over the chicken in the plastic bag, close bag and chill for 4-24 hrs, (longer the better) .
- Cook onion, garlic and remaining spice mixture in the water in a small saucepan for 5 mins and do not drain.
- Allow to cool.
- Then stir in remaining 8 ozs of yogurt then cover and chill.
- Once chicken marinated, remove from marinade; discard marinade.
- Roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan at 375 for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until done.
- Stir in cucumber and pimiento into the chilled yogurt sauce and serve with chicken.
- If desired, garnish serving platter with cilantro, lemon wedges and onion wedges!