Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve as a relish with naan, papadam, and other Indian breads or with tandoori dishes.
- 3 red onions
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red chili peppers or 1 green chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Thinly slice 3 red or sweet onions, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon kosher salt, and drain in a colander for 1 hour. Rinse and pat dry.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar into the juice of 1 lemon and a little hot water and mix with the onions.
- Add 3 thinly sliced tomatoes, 1 thinly sliced green pepper, 1 thinly sliced green or red chile, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, and salt to taste.