Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
It's very garlicky!!
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 2 small carrots, julienned, grated or sliced fine
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs napa cabbage, cored and sliced into 1 inch strips (half a medium head)
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt or 1⁄4 cup sea salt
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 -3 teaspoon hot chili sauce or 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- In large bowl, combine the red onion, carrots, cabbage, and salt. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Let them sit at room temperature overnight. The next day, drain the vegetables.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and toss well.
- Chill the salad for at least 1 hour before serving.
- It will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Variation: This kimchi doesn't undergo a fermenting process, as real kimchi does.
- If you'd like to ferment this kimchi, omit the oil, and put the mixture into a large sterilized jar.
- Let the kimchi stand at room temperature for 2-4 days, opening the jar once a day to let out the gases that build up.
- Store the kimchi in the refrigerator after this period.
- It will keep for several weeks.
Nice flavor though I think we'd like a bit more heat. I served it with Korean Hamburgers #28549 which was a nice choice to go with this. Thanks!