1/2 Photos of Tamale Pie for Two (Ww Core)
I love tamale pie but as a solo chef rarely make it. Found this recipe to be the perfect solution and it will easily double for larger families. The tamale topping on this is light and fluffy and complements the hearty beef filling underneath.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces extra lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, small dice
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, small dice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomato, canned with juice
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal (divided)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk or 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons soy cheddar cheese (optional) or 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a non stick skillet, brown the ground beef and break it apart using a spoon. Add the onions and green peppers and garlic. Once the meat is cooked, drain off any excess fat. Alternately, transfer the contents of the pan to a plate lined with two paper towels, wipe skillet and return beef to pan.
- 3After draining excess fat using either method, add the tomatoes, corn, chili powder and 1/2 tablespoon of cornmeal. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Transfer to a one quart casserole.
- 4Place the milk, cornmeal and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a light boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir frequently until thickened. Alternately, you can cook the ingredients in a microwave and cook for 2 and 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- 5In a small bowl beat the egg whites by hand until foamy. Slowly add in the cornmeal, stirring to make sure it does not scramble the egg. Add the soy cheese/cheese if using.
- 6Top the casserole filling with the cornmeal mush.
- 7Bake for 25 to 30 minutes the top should be puffed and lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tamale Pie for Two (Ww Core)
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.0
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.6 mg
- Sodium 344.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 22.0 g