Southwestern Chicken Skillet (Ww Core)
photo by alenafoodphoto
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half (4 small)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup thick & chunky salsa
- 10 ounces frozen corn (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked (Minute Rice's brown rice)
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cover. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through (170 degrees F).
- Remove chicken from skillet; set aside. Add water, salsa, and corn to skillet; mix well. Bring to boil.
- Stir in rice. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 5 minutes. Top rice mixture with chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; simmer an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and rice has absorbed liquid.
This is the most delicious spicy rice dish I have ever tasted. I left this recipe for my husband to prepare one night for dinner. He made a few changes to it, like he always does. He used Swanson Chicken Broth, instead of the water, and he added chili powder. It was wonderful, and the broth is still a core food.
This was absolutely yummy. It tasted a lot like Spanish Rice; not quite as spicy but soooo good. I had a lot of brown rice and cooked chicken breasts leftover so I used this and omitted the water to cook the rice but the result would be the same. I added a little salt while it was in the pan. I will make this again and probably sooner than later. I really loved it. I may have added a little more salsa, too because I didn't know what the ratio was to the uncooked rice. Anway, whatever I did was great.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was raised on southern cooking, but over the past few years, I have been looking for more healthy ways to eat. As a result, some of my recipes are healthy and some aren't. <br> <br>I am usually just cooking for myself, so I am especially interested in recipes that can be made for single servings or easily refrigerated/frozen for later. <br> <br>I am a teacher, and on weekends I try to make something that I can take for lunch the following week (something that won't be boring by Friday!) so that I can just grab it and go each weekday morning. <br> <br><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <br><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <br><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">