Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From best of baking. I love the taste of tamales. Great for the health consious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
Cheese Cornbread Topping
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (, 2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread-muffin mix
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 large egg
- Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in water, lentils, tomato sauce and seasoning mix; reduce heat to low.
- Partially cover and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Grease 2-quart casserole with shortening.
- Prepare Cheese Cornbread Topping by mixing all ingredients until moistened.
- Spoon lentil mixture into casserole.
- Spread topping evenly over lentil mixture.
- Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes until topping is golden brown.
This was delicious! When I first told my husband what we were having for supper, he was OK with it but confessed he was a little afraid of the turn out. He and I both loved it. He had seconds and then had it for breakfast. This will please meat eaters no problem. Very flavorful and satisfying. It's a keeper!
Excellent recipe!! The lentil mixture cooked up for me in about 40 minutes, I wondered if it would thicken up and it did nicely. I put it in a 11X7 glass dish, thinking the topping would cook better if it wasn't too thick. Worked out well but there was a little bit of "runover" from the sauce. Will try a different baking dish next time. A definite keeper to be added to our vegetarian collection of recipes.
Yum! I already had the lentils made up for tacos, so this was super simple. I had to bake it about 20 mins. longer for some reason. Topped it with fresh salsa and sour cream. Will be making this again. Thanks for posting!