Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great comfort food my Mom used to make when I was growing up. It's simple and quick, is always good for leftovers and freezes well to save for later. I usually make it ahead on a weekend and freeze it to thaw and reheat when unexpected friends drop in. Or eat one and freeze one for later. A tasty casserole for a cold day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili (no beans)
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans pitted black olives
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 10 ounces shell pasta, large, cooked (do not exceed 10 oz. or it will dry out the casserole)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute garlic, onion and green pepper in a large skillet in a small amount of olive oil for about five minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until brown and crumbly. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well with a spatula or large spoon.
- Fill 8" X 12" and 8" X 8" glass casserole dishes and bake at 325 degrees for one hour.