Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
quick and yummy french onion soup, gourmet for a fraction of the cost!
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (5 ounce) bag seasoned croutons, about 2 cups
- 4 slices swiss cheese (thick slices)
- in a deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and softened, about 15 minutes. add the wine and bring to a boil. poir in the beef broth, lower the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes; season with pepper. preheat the broiler. divide the soup among 4 oven-proof bowls, then top each one with one-quarter of the croutons and a slice of cheese. set the bowls on a rimmed baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, about 1 minute.
I'm not a particular fan of onion soup, but my other half really is, so I decided to make this out of love, & surprise, surprise, I found this to be A GREAT TASTING SOUP! Easy to make, too! I did cut the recipe in half for just the 2 of us & was really pleased ~ Maybe it was the red wine! Anyway, I'll just keep hold of this recipe, if you don't mind! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees at the tail end of the current Pick A Chef]