Recipe by Annacia
From Tahiti French Polynesia Oceania
Top Review by Nif
It was worth paying $3 for the vanilla bean! This tasted delicious and the fresh vanilla had a lot to do with it. I made this recipe as listed BUT I cooked a chicken breast and added it to the sauce at the end for my picky boy. He really liked it! I also had no idea what double cream is so I grabbed some 10% fat cream. Apparently that had only about 1/4 the amount of fat as double cream!!! It still turned out great though! We had this with brown basmati rice topped with toasted coconut. Delicious! Made for ZWT7. Thanks Annacia! :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 900 g raw prawns, peeled (2lb)
- 120 m dark rum (4 fl. oz)
- 240 m double cream (8 fl.oz)
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
- 180 ml . coconut milk (6 fl.oz)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan add the prawns and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until they turn pink.
- Remove them from the pan and set aside and wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper.
- Add the rum and the vanilla pod to the frying pan, bring to the boil and reduce down to about 2 tablespoons.
- Stir in the cream and coconut milk, and reduce the mixture by half.
- Scrape seeds out of the vanilla pod into the cream mixture and discard pod.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the prawns to the sauce and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Serve immediately over cooked rice.