Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Another one from "The Splendid Table". Great for summer so you can use thoes sweet onions and fresh herbs from your garden. Use any herbs you like. Some suggestions are basil, marjoram, rosemary, sage and thyme or a combination of them.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large onions, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups meat stock
- 1 lb tagliatelle pasta noodles or 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 2⁄3 cups fresh herbs, roughly chopped
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces prosciutto di Parma, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir to coat with the oil.
- Cover and cook on low heat 25 to 30 minutes or until soft and transparent.
- Uncover the pan and raise heat to medium high and cook, stirring often, until the onions become a rich golden brown.
- Add garlic and cook for a few minutes longer careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the stock and simmer and scrape the bottom of the pan until reduced by about a quarter.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions until al dente and drain.
- Add the cream to the sauce and let come to a slow simmer while stirring it inches
- Add the prosciutto, salt and pepper and the herbs to the sauce and toss with the pasta.
- Toss in the cheese.
- Serve with extra cheese at the table if desired.