1/1 Photo of Taftoon - Persian Wholemeal Flat Bread
Sue Lau's Note:
Also called Nane Lavash.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flours into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water; add 1 1/2 cups of the remaining water and the salt.
- 3Pour the yeast mixture into the center of the flour and gradually work in.
- 4Beat with your hands for 20-30 minutes, or use the dough hook on an electric mixer and beat for 20 minutes, gradually adding in as much of the remaining 3/4 cup water as the dough will take (as the dough is beaten it will be able to take a little more water).
- 5Preheat oven to high (around 450 degrees F or more), and place a griddle on the center shelf to preheat for 10-15 minutes; when hot, lightly oil with a small cloth dipped in oil.
- 6Turn the dough out onto an oiled board (no need to proof the dough); oil your hands and divide the dough into 6 parts, rolling each piece into a ball.
- 7Roll out each ball as thinly as possible with an oiled rolling pin and prick all over with a fork or pinwheel, in 3-4 vertical lines across the surface.
- 8Take the round of dough and stretch it a little across the backs of your hands, and place dough on the smooth side of a cushion or pad.
- 9Pull the rack out where the heated griddle is on, and turn the cushion over and press down onto it.
- 10Close the oven and cook 1 minute, then pat down dough to prevent bread from puffing up.
- 11Bake until surface is bubbly (about 3 minutes), then turn bread over and cook 2 minutes more.
- 12Remove bread from oven and wrap in a towel.
- 13Allow oven temperature to reheat before starting another.
- 14Do not allow rolled dough to rest before baking; prepare just before putting in oven.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taftoon - Persian Wholemeal Flat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1093 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.7
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 586.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 10.5 g