One of the great things about living in the Bay Area, are some of the best restaurants in the country are here. The Tadich Grill If I remember correctly, is one of the oldest restaurants in San Francisco. More than fifteen gallons of this classic chowder are made at Tadich Grill every day (a little more than most home cooks require at a time). The white chowder was introduced as a daily menu item sometime in the 1960s.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon or 4 slices pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions, white and light green parts, chopped, 3 shallots, chopped or 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, very thinly sliced
- 5 red potatoes, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 cup white wine fish stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans clams, with juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup bechamel sauce
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1Place a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add the bacon and fry for 6 to 8 minutes, until crisp.
- 2Transfer to paper towels to drain. Drain off and discard half of the fat in the pot.
- 3Return the bacon to the pot over medium heat and add the onions, leek, potatoes, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Saute in the reserved bacon fat for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened and tender.
- 4Add the water, stock, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce and stir well. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- 5Add the clams and their juice, stir well, and then add the cream. Stir in the cornstarch and the bechamel sauce and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 6Just before serving, stir in the sherry. Transfer to warmed soup bowls and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tadich Grill Boston or New England Clam Chowder Oh Yea!
Serving Size: 1 (768 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 971.1
- Calories from Fat 509
- Total Fat 56.5 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 225.5 mg
- Sodium 1037.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 29.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: