Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from Southern Living. If you prefer, you can skip the part about the corn tortillas and just use a few purchased tortilla chips.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies (such as Rotel)
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) envelope dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 5 corn tortillas
- salt, to taste
- Brown beef in a large pot until no longer pink, draining off all fat.
- Mix all remaining ingredients (except the corn tortillas and the salt) into the same pot with the beef.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and let cook 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using kitchen shears, cut tortillas into thin strips.
- Place tortilla strips onto a baking sheet and spray lightly with some nonstick spray.
- Season to taste wih a little salt and bake about 5 minutes or until they just start to crsip up.
- Serve soup in bowls with a few of the tortilla strips set on top as a garnish.
I made this soup for the Photo Thread Subject and it was very good. I didn't use green beans simply because I didn't think they were mexican (if that makes any sense. I also added a chopped onion to the pot. I think next time I might add a little extra gound cumin. Thanks for a very good recipe Heather.