Wisconsin Sausage Soup
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated (large)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage (I use Hillshire Farm)
- 1 -2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic and saute unitl softened.
- Add flour, cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add chicken broth, milk, beer, Worcestershire, salt, mustard, and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened, whisking often.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Slowly whisk both cheeses into soups until combined and smooth.
- Cut sausage lengthwise into quarters, then slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Saute sausage in a small skillet over medium-high heat until heated through.
- Blot excess fat from sausage with paper towels.
- Add sausage to soup and stir.
- Serve hot with crackers or crusty bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made for Fall 09 My 3 Chefs. Made exactly per the recipe using a Bock beer. Ohhhh my goodness this was really yummy and my 10 yo DGS stated it was better than cheese crackers which from this picky eater is quite the complement! You simply must try this wonderfully delicious soup. Thank you for a keeper of a recipe, we will be having this again.
Made this for dinner tonight and it was really good. Only chages I made was to add an additional 1 1/2 cups milk and some black pepper. Once I combined all ingredients it was more like a really THICK chowder rather than soup. Once I added the extra milk it thinned out nicely and was still a thick soup; not runny at all. DH requested next time to add some potatoes and less corn (added 2 cups, will try one next time). Made for My-3-Chefs 2009.