This is a very thick soup, if you want a thinner soup with more liquid add in more water or tomato juice to thin out as desired. I strongly advise to make this soup a day ahead and refrigerate to blend the flavors! You can really use any kind of beans that you desired for this recipe, or use a mixture of canned beans, or use just the kidney beans! Make certain to brown the ground beef very well it adds more flavor to the soup. My recipe for Taco Seasoning Mix #76616 works well for this! Servings is only estimated.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional or to taste)
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn niblets, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (7 ounce) bottlespicy taco sauce (optional, I like to add it in!)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 cup water (more if needed to thin) or 1 cup tomato juice (more if needed to thin)
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (try my Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix!)
- 1 (1 ounce) packageranch-style dry salad dressing mix
- black pepper
- seasoning salt (optional) or white salt (optional)
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas (cut into 1/4-inch strips, can use more)
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- In a large pot brown the beef with onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers and chili flakes (if using) until well browned (about 12-15 minutes; drain and return to pot.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients except the tortillas; mix to combine.
- Cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours (simmer uncovered the last 30 minutes of cooking).
- Season with black pepper and salt if desired.
- Thin out with more water or tomato juice if necessary.
- Place the tortilla strips on a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt if desired and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 8 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowl and top with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and baked tortilla strips.
Every bite is bursting with flavor! So colorful and healthy too. I used half ground turkey breast with the ground beef, but next time I'll use all ground beef. I'd also use crushed tomatoes since we don't really like tomatoes in chunks. Weird, huh? No jalepeno peppers were necessary while we found plenty of heat with the other ingredients. Perfect for cold, wintry days. Thanks again, Kitten.
Wow, this was great soup! I made just as listed, and it was too hot for hubby but I loved it. My only complaint is I can't stop eating it! Thanks for a great recipe!
This is an exceptional and very easy recipe for taco soup. I used the full amount listed for the jalapeno pepper and chili pepper flakes. I also used Corona Beer, tomato juice, a bottle of spicy taco sauce and a commercial packet of taco seasoning. This soup was not too thick, but absolutely the perfect consistency. I saw no need for additional tomato juice. The addition of the cheddar cheese, sour cream and baked corn tortillas added just the right complement to our soup. Thanks, Kittencal for an exceptional recipe!