1/2 Photos of Taco Soup With Beans and Baked Tortillas
1 hr 15 mins
This is a very thick soup, if you want a thinner soup with more liquid add in more water or tomato juice to thin out as desired. I strongly advise to make this soup a day ahead and refrigerate to blend the flavors! You can really use any kind of beans that you desired for this recipe, or use a mixture of canned beans, or use just the kidney beans! Make certain to brown the ground beef very well it adds more flavor to the soup. My recipe for Taco Seasoning Mix #76616 works well for this! Servings is only estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional or to taste)
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn niblets, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (7 ounce) bottle spicy taco sauce (optional, I like to add it in!)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 cup water (more if needed to thin) or 1 cup tomato juice (more if needed to thin)
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (try my Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix!)
- 1 (1 ounce) package ranch-style dry salad dressing mix
- black pepper
- seasoning salt (optional) or white salt (optional)
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas (cut into 1/4-inch strips, can use more)
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- 1In a large pot brown the beef with onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers and chili flakes (if using) until well browned (about 12-15 minutes; drain and return to pot.
- 2Add in all the remaining ingredients except the tortillas; mix to combine.
- 3Cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours (simmer uncovered the last 30 minutes of cooking).
- 4Season with black pepper and salt if desired.
- 5Thin out with more water or tomato juice if necessary.
- 6Place the tortilla strips on a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt if desired and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 8 minutes.
- 7Ladle the soup into bowl and top with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and baked tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taco Soup With Beans and Baked Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.7
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 942.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salad dressing mix