Recipe by Denise in NH
A nice soup to warm you up on a damp, rainy evening or like here in NH, on a cold snowy evening! Good served with warm cornbread.
Top Review by Dottie Doodles
What a great soup! We loved this and ate till we couldn't eat another bite! It was great with the corn chips! The flavors really did it for us, and I have to admit we went back for more than one bowl (laughs) I made cornbread to have along with it and what a great combination it was too! Thank you for sharing!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine (Burgandy, Merlot, etc.)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I use Hunt's diced with Basil, Garlic & Oregano)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (I use Old El Paso with 40 % less sodium)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I like Kraft's Mexican style Cheddar jack with Jalepeno Peppers)
- 1 bag corn chips
- sour cream (light is ok)
- sliced black olives, drained
- 3 green onions, sliced fine
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, drained (hot, medium "or" mild according to your taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with onion in stock pot, stirring frequently; drain well.
- Add water, wine,undrained tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning mix.
- Stir till mixed well.
- Cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with some or all of the remaining ingredients.