Prep 7 mins
Cook 1 hr
WOW!! This is SO incredibly tasty!! I got this off the Weight Watchers website. This is my version of the recipe. This one is a definite keeper for us. Chalk full of flavor we thought!!! And VERY versatile!!
- Fry meat until just done.
- Drain off excess oil.
- Rinse with hot water.
- (sounds GROSS, I know, but if you're watching fat, this is an excellent way to get it out of there and you don't notice a difference in flavor!) Return meat to pan and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer on low for 1 hour.
- (I actually found that simmering for about 50 minutes worked well. It thickened it up just great).
- Estimated POINTS for Weight Watchers is 2 points for a 1 cup serving. ***Edited after first review*** You know, this is just what the recipe said. I have NO CLUE what points are. I did WW back before the fiber cap. Maybe that's where these low points come from. As the reviewer states -- best to check it yourself! :).
- (always double check your own points!) I took warmed flour tortillas and wrapped this up in them with a plop of sour cream and a bit of grated cheese.
- My daughter took corn chips and used it as a dip.
- It's sooo good!
- You can also add Salsa for some extra flavor it you'd like.
- Many different things you could do with this recipe!
- I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
This is now a family favorite. DH & I followed the recipe exactly the first time and enjoyed the flavor, but we do prefer more heat so we have exchanged the stewed tomatoes for rotel. We use this for burrito filling, taco salad, super nacho's, & quesadillas. Very good!
I printed this out ages ago and finally made it last night. VERY GOOD. I changed a couple of things. I used ground chicken breast so there was absolutely nothing to drain off and I did not rinse the meat. I had canellini beans but no black beans so I used those. I did not know if I was supposed to drain the liquid off of the beans, so I just did a light drain. I simmered for 45 minutes and took the lid off at the end to allow the mixture to thicken. Great flavor - I used mine for taco salads. The only drawback to this recipe is that it is quite salty from the mixes used. Other than that, great! Thanks for posting, Marlene, this is a useful recipe!
I really enjoyed this recipe but did add 1 tbsp of Mama Africa;s Piri Piri. It is impossible for a recipe to have the right heat for everyone - I like Hot. Also I took the advice of one of the reviewers and added some sweet green pepper -I wasn't sure if Ishould drain the black beans or not but after adding the tomatoes I decided that there was enough liquid so I drained them before adding to the meat. Used a Spinach tortilla as the wrap and served a simple lettuce, tomato & onion salad on the side Mmmm Great Saturday night dinner.