Created for Dining on a Dollar Contest 2010 I used brown rice as per the ingredient list but you can substitute Calrose white rice, You can also add a 4oz. can of diced jalapeno peppers or diced green peppers, mild, medium or hot. I would not personally put the whole can of jalapeno peppers in it but some people do like it very spicy and hot. Warm the tortillas.
- 1⁄2 cup spaghetti, broken 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth, mix (Sysco ) or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons dried onion, minced
- 16 ounces hot water
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- In large frying pan add spaghetti, brown rice and margarine.
- Stir on medium heat until spaghetti and brown rice starts to turn a golden color.
- Add opened black beans with juice, minced dried onion chicken broth base or bouillion cubes, hot water, chili pepper. ground cumin, black pepper and tomato sauce.
- Stir to mix all ingredients.
- Cover and turn heat to low. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Take off when spagetti and rice is cooked and liquid absorbed.
- Serve with warmed tortillas.