Created for Dining on a Dollar Contest 2010 I used brown rice as per the ingredient list but you can substitute Calrose white rice, You can also add a 4oz. can of diced jalapeno peppers or diced green peppers, mild, medium or hot. I would not personally put the whole can of jalapeno peppers in it but some people do like it very spicy and hot. Warm the tortillas.
- 1⁄2 cup spaghetti, broken 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth, mix (Sysco ) or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons dried onion, minced
- 16 ounces hot water
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- In large frying pan add spaghetti, brown rice and margarine.
- Stir on medium heat until spaghetti and brown rice starts to turn a golden color.
- Add opened black beans with juice, minced dried onion chicken broth base or bouillion cubes, hot water, chili pepper. ground cumin, black pepper and tomato sauce.
- Stir to mix all ingredients.
- Cover and turn heat to low. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Take off when spagetti and rice is cooked and liquid absorbed.
- Serve with warmed tortillas.
The family enjoyed this as the main dish for dinner, it was tasty. Thank you!
This is a very yummy recipe with a nice spicy taste. The spices listed are a good starting point, however I found the cumin to be a little overpowering, so that I will try half the amount of that and maybe add some other spices such as garlic, chili powder or cinnamon as well next time Im making this.
Ive never had rice-a-roni before, so didnt quite know what to expect, but I (and everyone else) loved the toasty flavour of the spaghetti and rice (I used ww spaghetti).
I think adding the spaghetti some time after the rice would have been a bit more to our taste, though as they became a little soggy with the long cooking time.
All in all a very good recipe that I am looking forward to to making again.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it here with us!
Made and reviewed for Dining on A Dollar Contest November 2010.