Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tabil is used to season & enhance many Tunisian dishes. In fact, Tabil means seasoning (it originally referred to the coriander which is the key ingredient in Tabil!) Tabil is often used in conjunction with harissa & added to stews. You can use it as a rub or to season cooked vegetable salads or in dolma stuffing.
- 1⁄2 cup coriander seed
- 4 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix
- Combine coriander seeds, garlic, caraway seeds, crushed red pepper flakes and grindin a spice / coffee grider or in a mortar & pestle.
- Spread out onto a baking tray and dry in a low oven (200°F) for about 1 hour.
- Cool, grind again as fine as possible. Add the ras el hanout & store in an airtight jar in a cool, dark place for up to 4 months.