Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for a diabetic diet. One serving has no carb exchanges, only count 1 lean meat serving per cup.
- 14 ounces lean beef
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 cups nonfat beef broth
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- black pepper
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onions, celery, zucchini and peppers. Cook and stir over moderate heat until vegetables are translucent but not brown.
- Brown meat in skillet if raw.
- If using cooked beef, add as soon as vegetables are cooked.
- Any type of beef will work, but I prefer using round steak or chuck steak because it's cheaper.
- Add broth to vegetables, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage and seasonings to broth. Simmer another 5 minutes.
This was pretty tasty--not bad for low carb! Thanks for posting!
This is very good. I sauteed the cabbage too because I prefer it not too crunchy, added salt and pepper with the broth and eliminated step 3. I made a meal of this so I had a 2-cup serving and it still fit's in the diabetic meal plan. Thanks for sharing.