Recipe by Dreamgoddess
Wonderful little appetizers from a friend at work. Prep time includes cooling time.
Top Review by TammieV
This was an easy recipe. The cheese flavor is well defined. Green onions or a touch of dry mustard might be nice in this recipe too. On thing you may want to look at however, I was unclear as to how long this should be on the heat for is it for all steps 4,5,6 and 7? I was not sure. I took it off just before I added the the egg yolk. Also I Suggest that you add the cool time into the directions..I did not see the added note about prep time in your discription so I took the dish out of the frige and started to roll very soft balls.. then discovered the harder sides and decided that it needed to cool longer.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus additional flour for rolling balls
- 1⁄2 cup hot milk
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a sauce over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the 2 T flour.
- Add milk and stir to mix well.
- Add the Swiss cheese and seasonings to taste.
- Stir so all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the egg yolks and remove from the heat.
- Pour mixture in a 9x9" baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and refrigerate for 2 hours or until completely cooled.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer.
- Form balls and roll in the additional flour.
- Deep fry the cheese balls, a few at a time, until golden brown.
- Remove from hot oil and drain.