Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Easy summer dish to share with friends. Perfect! casual, tasty, no fuss or nonsense. There's nothing like a picnic on a fine spring day and this easy tart will make a delicious addition to any hamper! * Tip: Shortcrust pastry sheets are available in 2 sizes, large (pie/quiche) or regular. If using regular-sized, you will need to join 2 sheets together.
- 1 sheet frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed (see tip)
- 200 g mini roma tomatoes
- 4 slices swiss cheese, cut into 1cm strips
- 8 sprigs basil
- 1⁄2 cup thickened cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven and a flat baking tray to 200°C Use pastry to line base and side of a 5cm deep, 20cm (base) springform pan. Trim excess pastry. Line pastry case with baking paper. Half-fill with raw rice. Place on hot tray and bake blind for 10 minutes or until light golden. Remove paper and rice. Bake pastry for a further 5 minutes or until golden and firm to touch.
- Remove tart case from oven. Reduce temperature to 180°C Arrange tomatoes, cheese and basil over warm pastry case.
- Whisk cream, milk and egg in a jug. Season with salt and pepper. Gently pour egg mixture over tomatoes. Bake tart for 50 minutes or until egg custard is just set. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve.
- * Transport tip: Leave cooked tart in cake pan and cover with foil. Store in an airtight container lined with a tea towel (this prevents tart sliding). Transfer from pan to a plate at picnic. Cut and serve.