Moosewood Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Quiche
So, I'm kind of a picky eater and while I like a lot of spices and cusines, there are quite a few basic ingredients out there I can't stand, three being: swiss cheese, mushrooms and...egg. So why in the world would I post this recipe? Only because it completely knocked my socks off! Somehow when you combine all those yucky ingredients in this magical way it turns into the most delicious brunch...or lunch...or dinner ever! Enjoy!
- Ready In:
Base of Quiche Ingredients
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper
Egg Custard Ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- Cover bottom of crust with swiss cheese.
- In a frying pan, melt butter and saute onions until soft and translucent.
- Add mushrooms, a dash or two of thyme and salt and pepper to taste and saute for 5 more minutes or until cooked through.
- Spoon veggies over cheese in pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, beat all of the custard ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour custard over mushroom layer until pie is full (there might be some left over).
- Sprinkle paprika over the top and cook in a 375* oven for 40-45 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
It was good. I had to bake an extra 15 minutes. That’s all. I have for many, many moons had the “Moosewood Cookbook” by my side in the kitchen. I may have made this quiche before! I think it’s a good base. My changes, less cheese. Just too gooey for me. I would add more mushrooms or other veggies.Reply