Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A really good, make-ahead dish...perfect for potlucks and buffets.
- 12 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded swiss cheese or 8 ounces jarlsberg cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Prehaet oven to 350*F.
- Cook carrots in slightly salted water until just tender, then drain.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter and saute onion until soft.
- Stir in flour with a whisk. Cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in seasonings and milk, cooking until thickened.
- In a buttered shallow casserole place half of carrots, all of cheese, then rest of carrots. Pour sauce over all and sprinkle with buttered crumbs.
- Bake 25 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.
"High Five" for this one! My four male college students (all Asian internationals) had never had anything like this before and just loved it!. I did do some tweaking though: Cut butter to 3 tbls using my own Better Butter recipe, cut salt to 1 tsp and used my homemade breadcrumbs just scattered on top without extra butter. Oh, I also grated the carrots on large hole side. This only took 20 minutes in the oven. A sure keeper! Thanks for being such a fine cook!