Swiss Carrot Casserole
A quick make ahead dish good for buffets or potlucks. Another favorite of mine from the Benjamin Franklin award winning cookbook of midwestern U.S. origin called "Hollyhocks and Radishes."
- Ready In:
- 12 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese or 1/2 lb jarlsberg cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Cook carrots in lightly salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes, and drain.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan, add onion and saute until soft. Stir in flour with whisk and cook 1 minute. Whisk in seasonings and milk, cooking until thickened.
- In a buttered, shallow 2 quart casserole, place half of carrots, all of the cheese then rest of carrots. Pour sauce over all and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered 25 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Just lovely. Not diet food for sure! I had a ton of carrots to use up, and this did the trick. I love the combination of the carrots ans swiss cheese. The white sauce and breadcrumbs were fab as well. Served this as the main dish with a green side salad. Thanks for posting this, would make it again.Reply
see 3 more