Recipe by beckerd
I make this dish for Thanksgiving because I never know if I should made normal mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes. It comes out pretty and it tastes good too!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring Yukon potatoes and water to cover to a boil in a large dutch oven.
- Reduce heat, and cook 20 minutes or until tender;drain.
- Repeat with sweet potatoes.
- Beat Yukons at medium speed with electric mixer until mashed.
- Add 3/4 cup milk, half of cheese, and 1 Tbsp of butter, beating until smooth.
- Stir in chopped onions, 1 tsp salt, and pepper.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 3 qt oval baking dish.
- Beat sweet potatoes until mashed; add remaining 3/4 cup milk, remaining cheese and remaining 1 Tbsp butter until smooth.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp salt and thyme.
- Spread over Yukon potatoe mixture, and swirl gently with a knife.
- Cover, and chill up to 8 hrs, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.