Mrs B's Note:
Ssssssh! Don't tell everyone, but this tasty recipe is actually vegan! It'll kick into touch any ideas you may have had that a) vegan food is dull, and b) you don't like tofu. This quiche tastes good, is easy to make, reheats well and is great cold too. DH, who claims not to like tofu, wolfed this one down! I classify this as a British recipe, partly because of the use of porridge oats (oatmeal).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
OAT AND ALMOND CRUST
- 1 1/2 cups whole rolled porridge oats
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- salt, to taste (a small pinch)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus (or other flavourless oil)
- extra sunflower oil, for oiling pie dish
- 1/3 cup water
SWEETCORN TOFU FILLING
- 1/2 cup cashews, ground to a flour
- 1/2 lb firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon fresh herb (such as oregano or thyme, or you can use basil tofu and omit fresh herbs)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced lengthways
- 1 (326 g) can sweetcorn, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1To make pie crust - in a food processor or blender grind oats and sesame seeds to a coarse flour then add ground almonds and sunflower oil and 'pulse' to mix together: slowly pour 1/3 cup of water down the feeding tube while the processor is running at a slow speed and process until the mixture starts to hold or ball together: Press crust mixture into a lightly oiled 9-inch pie dish.
- 2Over a low-medium heat, saute sliced onion and pepper in 1 tablespoon oil for about 5 minutes until onions are transparent.
- 3Meanwhile, 'whizz' ground cashews, tofu, 1/2 cup water, cornstarch and herbs together in a food processor or blender until smooth; stir sweetcorn into this mixture.
- 4Arrange cooked onions and pepper evenly over the base of the pie crust, then spoon sweetcorn tofu mixture over the top.
- 5Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper over the quiche and bake it at 350 degrees F/180 degrees C for 35 minutes or until set.
- 6Remove from the oven and leave the quiche to stand for a few minutes minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweetcorn Tofu Quiche With Oat and Almond Crust
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.3
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 244.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: