Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very flavorful dish from the book the Compassionate Cook.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth or 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick shapes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 stalk celery, chopped into strips
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 lb tofu, cut into strips
- Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of the broth or water in a small cup until well blended. Add the rest of the stock,vinegar, sugar, kethup, soy sauce, ginger, and cayenne pepper, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Stir-fry the garlic, onion, and carrots until the carrots begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the pepper, celery, and mushrooms, and stir-fry for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Stir the sauce well and add to the vegetables. Cook until the mixture thickens. Add the tofu and cook until the tofu is thoroughly heated. Serve immediately over rice.