Recipe by i_m_patty
A unique blend of sweet, smokey, crunchy, and caramel make this summer salad a refreshing (and lo-cal) change from the typical lettuce salad. Don't forego the maple flavoring - it's the "sweet" in the "Sweet & Smokey". This is an original recipe inspired by a Pear & Gorgonzola salad I tasted, but I didn't like the Gorgonzola flavor so I mixed it up a bit and added some crunch.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons almond milk
- 1 pear, peeled and sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted almonds, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 small head lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a jar or covered container, mix canola oil, cider vinegar, maple flavoring, Splenda, and almond milk.
- Shake until mixed well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In large bowl, toss lettuce, pears, green onions, almonds, and cheese.
- Just before serving add dressing and toss well.
- As an alternative to tossing the salad, serve individual bowls of lettuce topped with a circle of pear slices, and the cheese, green onions, and almonds sprinkled in the center.