Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Wow, this has replaced my favourite Caesar Salad for popularity when people ask me to bring salad. It is really tasty. I have about 8 people to Sunday dinner each week and when I make this I have to double it and it all goes. When you double the salad ingredients you do not have to double the dressing. Just toss more.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 small red onion, sliced and divided into rings
- 1 can mandarin orange, drained
- sliced strawberry, to equal mandarines
- 1⁄4 cup cashews
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise or 3⁄4 cup Miracle Whip
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Make dressing (best the day before).
- Just before serving toss together the first 4 ingredients.
- Pour the Poppy Seed dressing over and toss well to coat all the leaves.
- Sprinkle cashews over top.
This was good. Thought the dressing was a little tangy. I was really expecting sweeter I think. But loved the addition of the mandarin orange, and cashews. That was great, and different from other recipes I have tried with the strawberries. Thanks for letting us try this, I think I will do it again and just add a tad more sugar, or maybe even balsamic with pomegranite might be good!
An awesome recipe. I create a vegan version with soy or rice milk and vegannaise. I also use fructose in place of the sugar for friends with sensitivities. Oh, and the nuts are either on the side (at home we have a nut allergy) or sunflower seeds are offered when we take it elsewhere and don't know what allergies are there. Always a hit!
This recipe is Excellent & easy to prepare. I've made it several times. Didn't take long for the dish to empty. I had a request to bring it to the next Salad Luncheon Potluck, too. I am a TOPS member, so am always interested in eye-appealing, low cal recipes. rosebud from Iowa