Recipe by Missi "cook"
This was inspired by the Pinoy dessert. I lived in the Philippines for 4 months, so the other day as I was recreating some of the magic of pinoy food, I came across this recipe. Lacking banana leaves I created my own version!
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups calrose rice, short grain, glutinous
- 1 (8 ounce) can coconut milk, sweetened
- 1 head cabbage, leaves pulled off
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water and cook cabbage leaves until soft – do not overcook.
- Soak rice in salt water until it swells.
- Drain Water. Add about 1 cup of coconut milk.
- When the cabbage is soft, drain water.
- Take a scoop of rice and place it down the middle of the cabbage leaves, gently roll the leaf around the rice. Be aware that the rice will expand, so do not fill them too full.
- Place rice rolls in 1 cup of water and the rest of the coconut milk. Add any leftover liquid the rice was sitting inches Cover and bring the liquid to a boil then place on low heat, allowing the rice to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Serve gently with a spatula.