Recipe by Baby Kato
This recipe is submitted for play in ZWT8 – Spain/Portugal. It is a recipe by Ana Patuleia Ortins. A lovely rice pudding that is flavored with orange and garnished with cinnamon.
Top Review by cookingpompom
This is so creamy and rich, I think this would easily feed 10 as only a small serve is needed. I mis-read the recipe and added the sugar to early (when I added the rice). The consistancy was so creamy, but way too sweet for me. I will definatley make this again - with less sugar. Made for ZWT8 (The Fearless Red Dragons)
- 5 cups milk, whole
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange, peel of 1 orange, without pith, in large pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground (for dusting)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk in 2 1/2 quart saucepan over medium-high heat until little bubbles form around the edges and the milk starts to steam.
- In a separate pan, add rice and salt. Add enough water to just cover the rice, and place the pan over medium-high heat, cover,and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stirring constantly, cook the rice until the water evaporates, being careful not to burn it.
- Stir the scalded milk into the rice and add the orange peel, cover and simmer the rice for another 20 to 25 minutes, until it is almost done.
- When the rice is tender, remove the orange peel and stir in the sugar, continue to simmer for 5 more minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
- The pudding should be somewhat thick, like oatmeal. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Pour onto flat serving platters or individual dishes.
- Garnish with cinnamon in the Portuguese style: pinching some cinnamon between the index finger and thumb, dropping it close to the surface of the rice by rubbing the finger and thmb together, in a design or intials of the guest of honor and chill.
- Serve chilled or remove from the refrigerator 20 minutes before serving.