2 hrs 13 mins
This is a traditional recipe from India and it has to be one of the best things ever. In India this dish is known as Kheer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the rice in a medium-sized bowl. Fill the bowl with cold water and swirl the rice around to help remove the starch.
- 2Carefully pour off the water, making sure not to pour out the rice that has settled to the bottom. Repeat this step 7-8 times, or until the water is clear.
- 3Fill the bowl with enough cold water to cover the rice by 2 inches. Let the rice soak for 30 minutes.
- 4Drain the rice and set aside.
- 5Place the milk in a 6-8- quart pan over medium heat, uncovered, and bring to a boil. This will take about 10-12 minutes. Watch it carefully so it does not boil over, and stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- 6Add the drained rice. Return it to a boil. This will take 1-2 minutes.
- 7Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes. The rice will absorb the milk as it cooks and thickens. Stir frequently, occasionally mashing the rice with a whisk.
- 8If the rice sticks, lower the heat.
- 9After almost all the milk has been absorbed and the rice is very tender, add the sugar and ground cardamom. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- 10Pour the rice into a heat-proof bowl. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Cover and chill completely.
- 11When ready to serve, spoon the chilled dessert into individual serving dishes and garnish with the pistachios, raisins, and sliced almonds.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.6
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 89.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 46.4 g
- Protein 8.3 g