Prep 30 mins
Cook 38 mins
From Taste of Home (October/November 1998)
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup miniature marshmallow
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease two 2-cup souffle dishes or custard cups and sprinkle each with 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar; set aside.
- Place the sweet potato in a saucepan; cover with water.
- Cover and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes; drain well.
- Mash lemon juice, salt, and nutmeg into the sweet potatoes. You should have about 1 cup.
- Set aside to cool.
- In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and 3 teaspoons sugar until smooth.
- Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; stir in mashed potato and milk/butter mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potato mixture.
- Divide and spoon into prepared dishes; top with marshmallows.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-38 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
My mom used to make this exact recipe from TOH for me when I was a kid.Yummy and comforting.