Recipe by KLHquilts
This one is a little different, because it uses yogurt cheese. It's remarkably low fat, and can be made even lower fat if you skip the pecans. (Of course, who wants to skip the pecans? :-) ). Got this from the Stonyfield Farm web site.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, cut in chunks and peeled
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt cheese (preferably made from nonfat milk)
- 1⁄4 cup pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350, and spritz a one-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the sweet potato in whatever way you prefer, so that they are tender enough to mash. When the sweet potato chunks are cool enough to handle, mash until completely smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients to sweet potatoes (except for pecans), and continue mashing until everything is incorporated evenly.
- Turn the mixture into a prepared baking dish and top with pecan halves.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until top is slightly brown.
- Note: You can prepare the whole thing in advance and refrigerate it, then pop it into the oven right before the meal. Increase cooking time by ten minutes.