Recipe by adams.wifey
This is a variation on a Paula Deen recipe. Very good and quite easy - best one I've ever made. You won't find a better sweet potato pie recipe. I bake the sweet potatoes first double wrapped in foil (with a slit cut through the foil and potato) at 350°F for about an hour - then they easily come out of their skins for this pie recipe.
- 2 cups peeled cooked sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups gingersnap cookies (or graham crackers)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- For the pie crust, crush the ginger snap cookies and the walnuts together in a food processor, blender or by hand. Then combine with 1/3 cup melted butter and press into a pie pan. Bake for about 5 minutes.
- For the filling, using an electric hand mixer, combine the potatoes, both sugars, 1/2 stick melted butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices. Mix thoroughly. Add the milk and continue to mix. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- You may use a pie ring to prevent over browning of your crust.
- If you have a Trader Joe's market nearby, they have the best Triple Ginger Snaps to use for the crust.
- Use real sweet potatoes and bake them - even if you bake them in the microwave oven. Don't use the canned stuff.