From Southern Living -- a classic sweet potato pie!
Make and share this Sweet Potato Pie recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Add milk, sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; mix well.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until pie tests done.
- Cool; Store in refrigerator.
Great recipe! I actually doubled the spices because we like our sweet potato pie spicy down in the south. My husband and friends loved it. I even gave some to my friends parents and they said it was the best sweet potato pie they had ever had.
Yummy! I couldn't wait until Thanksgiving to make this. Had to have it now. This tasted just the way my grandmother's did. Rich and flavorful sweet potato filling with a slight spiced touch. Thanks Nurse Di for a wonderful, comforting pie.
Yuppers is yummy, but for true southern yum bump up those spices by at least 1/2 and neither orange or lemon zest not hurt it....and for those that like it a little sweeter, maybe if you make two try a thin layer of streusel topping on one....and that's what I like about the south.