Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sweet potato patties recipe is one of my favorites. I use brown rice a lot in my healthy vegan recipes. It is a rich source of lots of nutrients, and makes for a much lighter patty than a bean-based veggie burger. This recipe is simple and delicious. It allows for a lot of variation in seasoning, and can easily be made with potato rather than sweet potato for a more neutral flavor. I've kept things really simple here to focus attention on the sweet potato.
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup short grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup sweet potato, grated
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup whole grain flour
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Be sure to have your rice cooked & cooled before you begin. This can happen at dinner the night before, at breakfast, or an hour before dinner. As long as the rice has cooled, it will be sticky enough to make into a patty.
- Stir together the rice, sweet potato, onion and salt in a large bowl. Allow it to sit for a few minutes, so that the salt can draw the moisture out of the potato & onion. Stir in enough flour to make the batter sticky, adding a spoonful or two of water if necessary. Form the mixture into tight balls, and squish slightly into a patty form.
- Heat a pan on medium, then add enough oil to coat the underside of each patty. Allow them to cook for 7-10 minutes, then flip. Cook another 5-7 minutes, and serve.
- These sweet potato brown rice patties can be served on their own, garnished with salsa and lettuce, on a bun as a burger, or many other ways. In the photo, I served them alongside some steamed kale, dressed with tamari and sesame seeds.
WOW, these are great!! The only change I made was to use AP flour since that is what I had. I made these a little small to have as a side dish, but ended up eating them all (and not the main dish)! I will definitely be making these again and trying as a burger or with salsa. A good healthy recipe to have and not feel like you are missing out on taste. Going into my Best of Cookbook! Made for Spring PAC 2013.
Very simple and delicious. I used a gluten-free flour blend that worked perfectly. I've already made these several times. Thanks for a great recipe.
These were delicious. A great side dish. What a great way to get in a healthy veggie and some brown rice.